The Golang or ‘Go’ is a programming language developed by Google. Google’s Golang was first introduced in the year 2010. Instantly, Golang has proven its presence in the market to fulfill the purpose of mobile app development.
Golang has become the most preferred programming language of mobile app developers for web services and for writing APIs. Nowadays, opting for Golang frameworks have become the most preferred tool for developers to solve complex problems.
Source: Stackify Website
It’s a simple programming language, yet very potential. It has effectively attracted the developers globally. Golang is a programming language that has a different set of frameworks and doesn’t use normal ones.
The developers used to love to work over Golang frameworks because it is a very efficient, lean, and powerful programming language. ‘Go’ language compiles over quick running native codes. Therefore, it has attracted a whole lot of web developers to opt for Golang as it is easy to use.
Basically, Golang is an evolved version of popular programming languages C and C++. The language has been designed for scalability and concurrency and as a result, it makes optimization of applications possible. In addition to that, there are different types of Golang web frameworks for the API development of mobile applications and the web.
The introduction of Golang has eased the developer’s work by minimizing the amount of code typing and writing robust APIs without compromising the app performance.
Why is Golang Development so Popular and When to Choose it?
Google’s Golang is one of the fastest-growing programming languages in the software and application development industry. It is so much popular because it has lightweight frameworks and is an open-source language which is most suited for today’s evolving app development architectures.
Source: Udemy Website
The top reasons for gaining popularity of Golang in the market among developers are as follows.
- Golang is an open-source language. Therefore, it is not restrictive and anybody can contribute to it.
- The syntax of Golang languag is small as compared to other languages. Hence, it is an easy language to learn.
- The small syntax and concurrency model of Golang enhances its performance, thus makes it a really fast programming language.
- Golang’s concurrency model makes it easy to progress while having multiple tasks at a time.
- Golang development supports portability and multi-platform nature. Hence, it makes it easy for developers to write codes in any environment i.e., Linux or Windows.
- Golang is explicitly designed for the cloud, which makes it easily accessible for all the developers.
- It has a real-time Garbage Collector (CG) for automatic memory management which makes the entire framework more secure. It also boosts the efficiency of the application.
- Golang doesn’t require any third-party support, as it already has a standard library full of a variety of features.
- Division of an application into a set of multiple manageable services by a micro-service architecture. This enables the fast development of apps in a minimum complex form.
Golang frameworks are proving to be the best choice when the developer wants to write code faster. GO language would be the best fit when the developer focuses on simplicity and safety on the priority.
Here, we have compiled a list of the best frameworks for Golang Development, which will help you build projects using the ‘Go’ Language. Let us take a look over the top 11 frameworks for Golang Development along with their features.
Top 11 Frameworks for Golang Development
Source: Kissclipart Website
It is a small and light yet powerful framework for web app development. It works with some basic things like routing, exception dealing, and common tricks to do middleware.
Martini framework can perform some unique functions like injecting numerous data sets dynamically into handlers varying on data types. This function is very common in the Ruby framework but has been accepted by many and gained popularity in the Golang framework community.
The developers can introduce new services in the existing app by using the ‘reflection’ function. It allows programmers to feed in data into the handler function. Also, Martini framework has less than 20 active plugins.
- Martini has a small, active, and updated community.
- It includes Handlers and Middlewares.
- It can efficiently perform Basic Routing, Exception Handling, and Serving Documents.
- Martini quickly integrates with Third-Party and doesn’t require to install it.
- It supports documentation.
2. Gin Gonic
Gin Gonic web framework has almost similar API like Martini framework, but it performs way better than Martini. If you haven’t used the Martini framework earlier, then by Gin Gonic, it doesn’t require much time to learn. It is much simpler to work on.
It is such an easy and simple platform to understand. Gin Gonic usually focuses on significant features libraries, which makes it 40x faster and quicker than the others like Martini frameworks for Golang Development.
Gin Gonic is a framework which requires minimum things and includes only the most essential libraries and features. These features and libraries make Gin Gonic perfect for high-performance REST APIs development.
Gin Gonic also allows the addition of middleware, nested groups, JSON validation, and rendering. Despite all these additions, it can easily maintain its optimum performance.
- Gin Gonic has a similar API with Martini.
- It can easily perform REST APIs.
- It uses HTTP router, the quickest HTTP router of ‘Go’ language for quick app development.
Beego framework is one of the rapid web app development frameworks of ‘Go’ language. It works on a model-view-controller pattern and doesn’t require any third-party library integration.
Beego framework is similar to the Django website framework for Python Language. It has a lot of features that are common to the web application. Therefore, Beego is similar to Django in terms of Command Line Tools.
Beego can easily incorporate Object-Relationship Map (ORM), session handling tools, data, cache handler, libraries, and logging systems for operating HTTP components. A bee command can develop robust Beego apps from scratch or from the middle of the existing ones.
- Beego performs Rapid Web App Development.
- It doesn’t require any Third-Party Library integration.
- Bee framework in app development can save a lot of time.
- It easily Integrates ORM, and built-in cache handler.
Net/HTTP is the best framework to go with developing a complex web application, strong, and robust middleware. Go mailing list is dependent on either Net or HTTP. It is one of the best Frameworks for Golang Development where developers can develop the whole XMPP server.
The Net/HTTP framework is a large and active community because of the number of reusable components it provides. But, it is not an excellent frameworks for Golang Development to perform routing purposes. Middleware is also important to build the application.
- Net/HTTP has a huge, active, and a very supportive community.
- It has a mandatory Framework for Building Apps.
- This Golang Development framework is open for integration.
Source: Medium Website
Buffalo is a simple and easy to use framework which starts quickly and provides an easy development platform. This Golang development framework can work effectively to develop the web application faster. It can easily set everything, including front-end to back-end to instantly start the web development process.
It has features like Hot Reloading, which means that dev command will automatically monitor the .go and .html files. After that, it will rebuild and restart the binary for you. After running the dev command only, the changes become very evident and will go live right in front of you.
Buffalo is not only the frameworks for Golang Development; whereas, it is also a holistic web development ecosystem. It allows you to start building your application instantly.
- Buffalo framework provides a fast and quick web app development facility.
- It supports the Hot Reloading feature.
- Can witness live changes just by keeping a closed eye on.HTML and .go files to run the command.
- Buffalo supports Bolster Data Migration.
- Buffalo framework has a Large Community of developers.
The Mango frameworks for Golang Development was developed by ‘Paul Bellamy’. It is quite a popular framework among developers, despite having no active community that could release and maintain regular updates.
The best thing about this web framework is its modularity. Developers can easily make selections from different libraries to incorporate in their projects. This framework helps to develop reusable modules of HTTP functionality as easily and fast as possible.
It carries a wide list of middleware and apps to keep the codes autonomous. It also uses HTTP modules very conveniently.
- The modularity of the Mango framework is popular among developers.
- It doesn’t have an active community but is preferred by a large group of developers.
- Mango Golang has a straightforward framework.
Gorilla framework also has a similar characteristic of modularity like Mango does.
- The Gorilla framework has a large community.
- Probably, Gorilla is also the largest web framework which caters to Net/HTTP library’s reusable components.
- Gorilla offers Scalability and Modularity features in its framework.
- It has Bolster WebSockets.
- Gorilla framework has a robust web socket, which allows developers to link a similar code appropriately to REST endpoints as the web sockets. It does so, with the minimum or no use of any third-party service.
- It is a very efficient Golang framework in Web App Development.
- Major users are from English speaking countries and communities.
- It is considered as one of the best frameworks for Golang to work with because of its components. These components can be reused directly with the Net/HTTP library.
Gocraft is quite similar to the Martini API framework. It is a bit conservative yet a very popular Golang web framework. The build-in middleware helps the developers to write or add other functionalities in the web application.
Gocraft is Google’s other web framework, which offers a quick and scalable routing facility in web development. As well as, the developers can add routing to Gocraft by using the standard libraries or HTTP.
With its Go mux custom middleware package, it enhances casting capacity and reflection. It allows developers to type their codes statically. Along with this built-in middleware, the developers can add extra functionality as well. It is really easy to write back-end web apps with the use of this framework.
It is a great framework for the developers who put the performance of the API as their highest priority.
- Gocraft offers a Quick Routing facility in web development.
- This framework is perfect for High-Performance Application.
- The Go mux and middleware package enhances casting capacity.
- It is easy to write and simple to understand.
Source: Appsierra Website
- It is a lightweight Golang framework.
- Goji can easily integrate middleware stack.
- It includes a URL pattern feature.
- Goji is quite compatible with lean API.
- Goji framework supports Web-socket.
Revel is one of the first fully-featured Golang Development web frameworks. It is available with a host of box features that are pre-installed and configured for maximum usage.
Revel framework doesn’t require any configuration or setup like many other frameworks do. It is so much self-sufficient that this framework doesn’t require any middleware or third-party plugins because it already has a plethora of plugins and middleware of its own.
The developers widely like the Revel framework because it is a one-stop-shop for API development regardless of the task complexity. To build a great API then, the Revel framework would be the best fit. It also had an active and vast community of developers.
- Revel is a full-fledged framework.
- It doesn’t require any Third-Party Plugins, Middleware, Configuration or Setup.
- It has a huge and active developers community.
Web.go is one of the easiest and lightweight frameworks for Golang Development. Despite being a lightweight framework, it offers a number of additional functionalities because of the tree-routing system.
Compared to simplest list routing, tree-routing is much more efficient, which offers a route through the relationship despite its usage or purpose.
Web.go is an ultimate framework to work upon when your project requires a lot of routing. The framework is very basic and simple to learn for any developer.
- Web.go is a simple and easy to understand framework.
- It is a Lightweight Go Web Framework.
- It offers the additional functionality of Bolster Tree Routing.
- Web.go also supports Routing via Relationship.
- It is restricted to necessary features only.
Pros and Cons of Golang Development
Source: Youtube Website
There are many renowned IT companies that have adopted Golang development frameworks for their Web App Development. The most obvious name in the list is Google, while the others are Uber, Twitch, Fabric, Medium etc.
Golang is an easy and potential programming language, which has successfully attracted developers from all over the world. Despite of it’s popularity, Golang has a fair share of pros and cons..
Let’s discuss them.
Pros of Golang Development
- Golang frameworks are of primitive type and struct. This helps the programmers to detect the bugs easily.
- It also supports in-built lists and maps, which can be easily used in the web app by a simple integration process.
- The Interface type needs to be satisfied with a method, and this can be easily done through ‘struct’ which plays an important role in doing so.
- Golang development also makes code independent.
- These interfaces of the frameworks for Golang Development will help developers in writing modular and scalable code easily.
Cons of Golang Development
1. Non-attentive Community
The Golang community doesn’t support suggestions. The community neither responds over new suggestions, nor it offers suggestions voluntarily.
Golang Development lacks Generics. Therefore, it becomes monolithic for the developer, who is only familiar with Java.
Another major problem with Golang is reusability of code. The developers can not even reuse the code which eats up a lot of coding time.
Each framework has a set of features that enable the easy work. So, if you are a developer and want to develop a robust application with GO language, you can definitely try any one of these defined frameworks in the future.
Source: Rawpixel Website
Based on our experience obtained, EngineerBabu has worked for more than 6 years in the IT industry, businesses from various industries have a variety of problems with IT operations. The new and trending discipline of Golang Development addresses all of them. Therefore, if you require a Golang Developer, we at EngineerBabu will be delighted to help you achieve your goals. You can hire expert Golang engineers from EngineerBabu and grow your business to the next level.