When you live outside your hometown, it’s a struggle to get your hands on good home cooked food. When you don’t live with your family, the three meals become a hunt in the wilderness. Cooking food daily for a single person is an enormous waste of time. There’s a huge majority of every town and city’s people who do not have an access to home cooked meals. Young and middle-aged working professionals, students and bachelors, migrants who live alone are not able to cook food due to lack of time. Due to this reason they are highly dependent on restaurants or fast food eating joints for daily food delivery.
As per an 87 page report by UBS Investment Bank, titled “Is the Kitchen dead?“, it’s possible that by 2030 most meals now cooked at home will instead be ordered online and delivered from restaurants or central kitchens. The reason why giants like BlueApron are doing so good in the food delivery industry is, that they caught the nerve of the distressed population group- absence of good home cooked food delivery options.
We introduce you to one such app that we developed for food delivery of fresh home cooked meals-
Moki- Mother’s Kitchen
Women cook food every day for their family. They excel at making quality food. The Idea behind Moki is to empower and give an opportunity to those women who want to earn money while doing what they love- cooking healthy and nutritious meals. By creating an income resource for these women, Moki can easily help them earn 5000-10000 monthly.
Moki- Serving Love from a Mother’s Kitchen
As per a survey done on Indian subjects, 34% of people eat out 2-3 times a week, with at least 27% doing so once a week.
As evident, food habits have changed with the Millennials and Generation Z kids across the whole world.
They are eating out more often, yet they want gastronomically satisfying healthy food and different cuisines. Most people use food delivery apps for regular meal delivery. The mere task of selecting an option is daunting. It takes up a lot of time, and more often than not, they end up ordering an expensive, unhealthy meal. With the changing demand, supply of food is not exactly a problem at large. Multiple food delivery applications are now available to order food that is healthy, offers variety and is gastronomically satisfying.
What is the Unique Selling Point or the Business Model of Moki Food Delivery App?
The startup has a network of housewives who are passionate about cooking. Moki’s expert team curates and guides the housewives on menu, consistency of taste, hygiene and food safety. They also help women on the price of the food for the quality and quantity they are providing. Though there are a few food delivery apps already in the market, this project has a different vision and concept from all of them.
- It is not only profiting the end user by providing home made food on order but it also gives housewives a platform to make some money from home.
- None of the food delivery apps in the market provide pure and healthy home-made food on the door stem they only affiliate with the restaurants or cafes.
- The product will get very popular very quickly among the students and even working professionals who are living away from family.
- The targeted audience also promises to order very frequently from the app as they generally have limited home made food options.
- Apart from just the migrants, health conscious people and families will also order from the app on occasional dinners.
Demands Put Forward By The Client for the Development of Food Delivery App Moki:
The client wanted his food delivery app to integrate the following features-
For a customer using Moki food delivery app:
- Should be able to browse through the dish and look at the various dish options available by the housewives along with the price for each dish.
- Should be able to view the itemized bill for the order along with the prices for dish along with delivery price and time.
- Should be able to access delivery time, recommended dish by the housewives, an option for providing tip after the order has been billed.Also, an option to provide feedback for the service and the food.
- Categorized Dish with the prices to be visible and enabled with selection choices, as soon as the customer chooses dish , the order should be created in the database and become visible to the customer.
- A capability to accept payment from customers and mark the order as paid. All the updates to the order to get updated in the database.
For a housewife on Moki food delivery app:
- To be able to view the current queue of orders, accept the orders and update the order status to ‘ready’, once the order is prepared.
- Should be able to view the current order queue to see the ready orders for pick up and mark the order as picked up on the common queue.
- The order queue to be visible and have permissions of accepting for Housewives and a pick up for delivery boy.
Our Approach for the Development of Food Delivery App-
About the team:
The client approached us last year, in August 2018, and we immediately began working on the project.
The highest priority was the stakeholder’s satisfaction. Deliveries of the software was early and continuous. Flexibility to change the requirements was given as much as possible, even in the later phases of development. Working software was delivered very frequently. Business analysts and developers worked together throughout the project in order to bring out the best results.
The team that worked on this project was dedicated and skilled in their own areas. A continuous and serious attention was paid to technical excellence and good design. After all, simplicity is essential and reduces unnecessary efforts. Our team was self-organizing. Hence the best architecture, requirements and designs were expected and delivered. At regular intervals, meetings were held and the team reflected on how to make the development process more efficient.
Development Model for the Food Delivery App:
The approach that was used for Moki’s development was the Agile model. If you’re a business owner looking to grow your business, there are certain things to keep in mind before developing an app. For developers, we have our methods to decide upon the approach once a task has been assigned to us. Unlike any other project management model, in Agile, the testing and developing are concurrent activities.
At first, the business analyst interacts with the clients, understands and gathers their requirements. The business analyst makes the documents for the project and constructs the wire-frames based on the client’s requirements. Once the wire-frames are ready, the business analysts along with the graphic designers make the design of the project. The UI and UX designers then check the workflow of the design created. They make sure the user experience is not compromised and the functionality of the product is as expected.
Once all the initial process is done, a kick-off meeting is scheduled where all the developers in the project, the project manager, designers and business analyst sit together. The business analyst describes the project to the whole team and other members clear their queries regarding the same. After the kick-off meeting, the project manager assigns tasks to all the team members on the basis of the scrum method. All the team members get to their respective tasks and report to the project manager as their tasks are completed. On the completion of development of the product, the quality assurance testing starts. Along with the testing team, the client is also given a fixed amount of time to test the product.
Whatever bugs occur during the testing are then solved. When the client is satisfied, the product is delivered.
Tech Stack used for Moki’s development:
Following is the list of applications we used to create Moki-
- IDE – Android Studio
- Build System – Gradle
- UI Designing – XML, Material design standards
- Web Services Calling – AQuery
- Image and Data Caching – AQuery
- Programming Language- Java
- Push Notifications – Firebase Cloud Messaging
- Programming Language – PHP
- Database – MySQL
- IDE – SubLine
Once the documents for the project are ready, our team constructs the wire-frames based on the requirements of the client. The UI/UX designers after checking the workflow of the design make sure that the user’s experience is not compromised along with the functionality of the product. After the analysis of the flow was given a green flag by the client, we built high fidelity wireframes using tools like Adobe XD, Illustrator and delivered a flow prototype in Invision.
Features of the Moki Food Delivery App:
Our application catered to the client’s needs very carefully, to make sure that every detail would come out in the final version, exactly how the client had envisioned.
Here is the final design along with the features of the application-
The app development of Moki food delivery app for home cooked meals has been a fun journey for us. We have previously developed mobile apps for several other sectors like- Grocery Delivery, EduTech, Business Networking, FinTech, Service Providers, etc. Projects like Moki help us achieve our financial goals in addition to being the fuel needed to channelize our energy into doing what we do the best- creating beautiful mobile applications for our clients and their clients.
Let us know in the comments section below, if you think that this application is a God-sent for you and your friends living away from your mothers!
Are you an entrepreneur with a great idea to boost your business? Just drop us an email at email@example.com. We will get back to all of your queries.
You can even right now.